Faure Gnassingbé : “The situation in Sierra Leone, imposses a duty of active solidarity”Écrit par © Afreepress
©Afreepress-(Lomé, August 22, 2017)- On Thursday, the President of Togo, Faure Gnassingbé, was at Freetown in Sierra Leone, to support his counterpart, President Ernest Bai Koroma, as the current chairman of ECOWAS and to convey the condolences of the people of Togo, to the Sierra Leonean populations for the tragedy caused by the rain that killed more than hundred people.
While research is continuing, a final assessment reveals 300 to 400 deaths including 105 children, 600 disappeared and nearly 3000 rendered homeless. For Faure Gnassingbé, this is an immense and unbearable tragedy. “Our emotion here is so intense, to the height of the drama,” he said. The situation in Sierra Leone, imposses a duty of “active solidarity” on all sides to face this challenge.
It should be remembered that last Monday, the president, as soon as the drama was announced, reacted via social media to show his sadness in relation to the plight of the Sierra Leoneans caused by the heavy rainfalls. “In this very painful times for our community, I offer my sincere condolences to the Sierra Leonean people on behalf of the people of Togo and those of the ECOWAS region. My counterpart President Ernest Bai Koroma can count on our support”, he said through his twitter account.
Latest from © Afreepress
- Lancement officiel de la plateforme publicitaire « Force One Africa » de l’aéroport de Lomé
- Politique : Nicolas Lawson se déclare candidat à la présidentielle de 2020 et donne ses raisons
- Les résultats et perspectives du PUDC évalués par le gouvernement et le PNUD
- L'ATC met en garde contre une augmentation du prix du carburant et des produits de base
- Le diplomate Robert Dussey dresse le bilan du Togo à la tête de la CEDEAO