Faure Gnassingbé : “The situation in Sierra Leone, imposses a duty of active solidarity”Écrit par © Afreepress
©Afreepress-(Lomé, August 22, 2017)- On Thursday, the President of Togo, Faure Gnassingbé, was at Freetown in Sierra Leone, to support his counterpart, President Ernest Bai Koroma, as the current chairman of ECOWAS and to convey the condolences of the people of Togo, to the Sierra Leonean populations for the tragedy caused by the rain that killed more than hundred people.
While research is continuing, a final assessment reveals 300 to 400 deaths including 105 children, 600 disappeared and nearly 3000 rendered homeless. For Faure Gnassingbé, this is an immense and unbearable tragedy. “Our emotion here is so intense, to the height of the drama,” he said. The situation in Sierra Leone, imposses a duty of “active solidarity” on all sides to face this challenge.
It should be remembered that last Monday, the president, as soon as the drama was announced, reacted via social media to show his sadness in relation to the plight of the Sierra Leoneans caused by the heavy rainfalls. “In this very painful times for our community, I offer my sincere condolences to the Sierra Leonean people on behalf of the people of Togo and those of the ECOWAS region. My counterpart President Ernest Bai Koroma can count on our support”, he said through his twitter account.
Latest from © Afreepress
- Le Ministre Payodowa Boukpessi rejette la demande de manifestation des Forces Vives « Espérance pour le Togo »
- Les candidats du parti UNIR mettent au propre la ville de Sokodé dévastée par des insalubrités
- Route Notsé-Tohoun : Le gouvernement exprime sa satisfaction à la réception de l'ouvrage réalisé par l'entreprise Midnight Sun
- Législatives 2018 : Les populations de Tône et de Cinkassé réaffirment leur confiance en l’UFC
- Campagne électorale : Les candidats UNIR à la conquête de Tchaoudjo malgré les difficultés